The Bangladesh national cricket team, often referred to as the “Tigers,” represents the nation of Bangladesh in international cricket. The team is administered by the Bangladesh Cricket Board (BCB) and is a full member of the International Cricket Council (ICC).
Here are some key points about the Bangladesh cricket team:
- Formation: The Bangladesh cricket team gained full ICC membership in the year 2000, which allowed them to play Test matches alongside One Day Internationals (ODIs) and Twenty20 Internationals (T20Is).
- Home Grounds: The team plays its home matches at various grounds across Bangladesh. The Sher-e-Bangla National Cricket Stadium in Dhaka is one of the primary venues.
- Achievements: Bangladesh cricket has made significant progress over the years. The team has achieved notable victories against strong cricketing nations and has competed in multiple ICC tournaments, including the ICC Cricket World Cup and ICC World Twenty20.
- Captaincy: The captaincy of the Bangladesh cricket team has been held by several prominent players over the years. As of my last knowledge update in September 2021, Tamim Iqbal Khan was the captain of the team in all three formats (Tests, ODIs, and T20Is).
- Star Players: Bangladesh has produced several cricketing stars, including Shakib Al Hasan, Mushfiqur Rahim, Mahmudullah Riyad, and Mustafizur Rahman, among others. These players have played pivotal roles in the team’s success.
- Coaching: The team is guided by various coaches who help develop and improve the players’ skills. Prominent coaches like Chandika Hathurusingha and Steve Rhodes have worked with the team in the past.
- Support and Fan Base: Cricket is immensely popular in Bangladesh, and the team enjoys strong support from passionate fans. The enthusiasm of Bangladeshi cricket enthusiasts is often described as fervent and unwavering.
- Tournaments: The Bangladesh cricket team participates in various international tournaments, including bilateral series, multi-nation tournaments, and ICC events. Their participation in global events has contributed to the growth of cricket in Bangladesh.